Thread: Creating fillable forms

Default Creating fillable forms

I'm looking for any information on how to create "fallible forms" that can be used in any pdf reader. I have created forms in Design by Adobe but this uses XFA File format which is not supported by Bluebeam Revu. It seems to me that this is something the good folks at Bluebeam should be working on.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if you could create a fillable form, there needs to be a mechanism for submitting and capturing the data from a PDF reader, since the default behavior is that forms can not be saved. Acrobat 8 Pro and above allow for enabling a form to be filled out and saved by Acrobat Reader 8 and above; in addition to allowing form data to be submitted by e-mail or posting to an online form processor.

I don't know if BlueBeam PDF Revu plans to support forms in this fashion, but it would be a nice feature set. For the time being, if you happen to have a copy of Acrobat 8 Pro and above, you could create a form from a PDF exported from InDesign. There is even a Form Wizard to detect and recognize where form fields should be populated.

Another nice thing with using Acrobat to create forms, is that you can attach javascript or calculations/validations on your fields. It would be nice if PDF Revu would allow attaching for attaching some javascript to a PDF. I know there is an option to interpret javasript or not, but I haven't found the ability to actually create a script within PDF Revu. But then again, PDF Revu may start to get a bit bloated like Acrobat.

I know there is an option to interpret javasript or not, but I haven't found the ability to actually create a script within PDF Revu.
    Where is this option? I'm not seeing how to disable or enable javaScript.

Thanks,

Trevor

Hi Guys,

Javascript can be disabled via Edit>Preferences>General.

Uncheck the box that says "Enable Javascript."

To add scripts to a PDF, Revu 9 eXtreme has an area under the Forms menu where you can add Global JavaScript.