Thread: Compiling a Documents Log

Default Compiling a Documents Log

I know there are a lot of construction engineers on here and throught you would appreciate this tip for populating a document log. It's somewhat applicable to Bluebeam if you organize your drawings one file per page. If you use Onscreen takeoff, single page files are easier to navigate when imported because of the file naming (unless you don't name the files properly).

If you use Google Chrome (free) you can copy the file path into the address bar and it will pull up a list of the documents located in the folder you navigated it to. Once there, highlight and copy the list. Now, you can paste into excel. I suggest playing with "text to columns" making clean up easier.

Creating a Document List used to take me hours, now I'm done in a matter of minutes, as long as I have planned accordingly using single page files. The advantage of single page files makes combing files and compiling bookmarks a simple task. Generally single page files are not used for everyday use.

Thinking ahead for Bluebeam development - It would be nice is there was a way to name multiple files using an excel type format. By doing this I could OCR a table of contents, copy it and paste into excel to creat all the file names. Similarly, it would be nice if when files are extracted it used a bookmarks (or similar) as the file name, rather than "pages from ......"

It sounds like you're getting the filenames that are inside a folder into a text file. I don't seem to have it installed on the PC I'm using right now but I think the utlity I've used to do this is called LS - File List Generator. It's freeware that is very helpful. I've used it to get the filename of a few hundred steel shop drawings into Excel very easily for a transmittal. It has nice options for including the extension or not, sub-folders or not, etc. Just takes a few seconds to use the program on a folder.

Edit: I can't believe Windows doesn't have a built-in function to do this.
    Last edited by ScottA; 03-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
    It sounds like you're getting the filenames that are inside a folder into a text file. I don't seem to have it installed on the PC I'm using right now but I think the utlity I've used to do this is called LS - File List Generator. It's freeware that is very helpful. I've used it to get the filename of a few hundred steel shop drawings into Excel very easily for a transmittal. It has nice options for including the extension or not, sub-folders or not, etc. Just takes a few seconds to use the program on a folder.
    Edit: I can't believe Windows doesn't have a built-in function to do this.
    I tend to join. It shouldn't be very hard.

You can also do this with the cmd window. The dir command can output the contents of a directory to a text file which is cleaner to import into excel.
    Eg: dir>filename.txt. There are plenty of references online with various parameters for different outputs, and this is part of Windows.