Thread: Any reccomendations for a new user?

Default Any reccomendations for a new user?

Howdy folks!
    I've just gotten a copy of bluebeam for work, have been going through the tutorial videos and all, and think I have a decent handle on going through the motions making basic pdf's, markups, and all the basic user interface stuff. It's pretty, and seems familiar enough if you know how to use CAD, Vectorworks, XCEL and photoshop.

What I'm trying to figure out still is broad picture stuff about how my firm should use the program. We're a small, but upper-end Louisiana residential firm with a young, savvy staff under a very experienced, talented older boss. We do mostly traditional renovation/restoration work, and really want to use this to generate quick on-site punch lists and more importantly to keep an eye on the to-do lists for our contractors and consultants.

I'm sure i'll have more than this, but for starters what's the best way to keep my file structure if i've got a really big house i'm working on? What's too big for the program to handle? Should i make one BIG ongoing pdf of an estate with every room and all their material linked together, heavily bookmarked; or would I do better to keep 100 pdf's of its individual rooms each just connected to their corresponding material/markups? Or would yall keep a master list of basic sheets for each room, then create smaller, more focused pdf packages with a very specific file naming structure for finding each part every time you go out to the field?

I'd appreciate any tips or help. Thanks a bunch!
    CL
    Last edited by KHA_CL; 02-15-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Default Round 2

next question: when I make a .PDF summary of my markups list, can I control how much image shows up for the markup previews? i.e. can i make the previews a little more zoomed out so i can get more perspective on what's showing up?

Hi Casey,

We finally opened up the forums publicly and I've decided to try and post a little about this for other users out there who may have similar questions.

You bring up some good points about file structure.

As for what is considered too big for the program, it's more or less an issue with the amount of memory that is required to cache a large document, and render it. In this case, if you have 12 gb of ram on a x64 bit system, i'm sure you can handle almost anything you want to throw at it.

As for creating a global PDF file, I think this is good in the final stages if you needed to submit something of the sort to a client. However since today you can use .zip files and PDF packages, it becomes less necessary to require everyone to open the entire document just to view one area. In all cases, the less the CPU has to work, the better.

The cool thing about Revu 8 is that the file manager allows you to easily browse through your folder using thumbnails for the file that you need, and use a minimal amount of cpu. Opening multiple files via split screen instead of one large one is good for cross referencing, and marking up multiple pages at once, instead of having to scroll through each page.

Every organization will have their own opinions about what works, so the best advice I can give to you is to look at how your organization currently archives its traditional documents and model your file structure after that. I like to imagine that PDF's are still like an actual blueprint, except they take up no physical space. So I would try to keep workflow along the same lines of what your company is used to.

Hope that helps some!
    Last edited by Brian F; 03-10-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Default Types of Documents

Are all the documents you use in PDF format?

I work for a medium sized contractor and all my large format drawings are in PDF but I deal with my other documents in either Excel / Word / Project formats as needed. As far as my construction drawings go though, I organize them by type Architectural / Structural / Civil and also store all my RFI's and submittals in PDF format filed by Sub contractor. Each sub has it's own folder in which I have standard directories such as "RFI's", "Submittals" " Sketches"

I name all my drawings with a general description and date on the end of it for ease of reference.

Hope this helped, feel free contact me.

Is there any way to split the screen of a single document and sync scrolling vertically but not horizontally (Similar to a Split in Microsoft Excel from the View Tab or using the "Split-Window View" in Acrobat)? My goal is to view distant columns side by side as I review spreadsheets. In Bluebeam, if I split the screen (ctrl+2) and click on "Sync", the view is only duplicated when I pan.

...one okay solution that I have found is to copy the column of data (Ctrl+G) and paste it farther down the row.
    Last edited by nelserik; 03-01-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Found Solution