Thread: Using Bluebeam on a MacbookPro - My Results

Default Using Bluebeam on a MacbookPro - My Results

I consider myself pretty agnostic when it comes to operating systems. I really like Windows 7, and MacOSX works just fine too. However, when it comes to hardware, I am a total Apple fanboy.

I have been using Revue 11 Standard on my 15" MacBookPro Retina (rMBP for short) for the past 8 months or so, and I'm loving it. Here's how I am doing it:

1. I am running Parallel's version 8 (8.0.18494). Version 8 has been updated for the Retina screen, and looks tremendous.

2. I am running MacOSX MountainLion on the Mac, and Windows 7 on Parallels.

I am pretty happy with this setup. I am running Parallels in Conformance Mode, which means that Bluebeam runs as a dialog box in the Mac. This makes it truly transparent, and runs like it was on the Mac the way God intended it :-)

It's pretty cool to see a listing of PDF's in Finder (Mac version of Windows File Browser), right click on it, and open it directly into Bluebeam. It feels completely natural, even though it's really opening an instance of Windows to run Bluebeam.

It's not perfect though. I have encountered a few quirks. Specifically:
    1. Occasionally there is a save file error. Parallels saves to the same desktop and folder structure as the Mac, and there seems to be some sort of quirk where it thinks the file is already open and in use, so it won't save again. It doesn't happen often, and simply click Save a second time usually works.

2. Holding shift to introduce "ortho mode" to draw straight level lines and annotations in Bluebeam does not work. I think this might be an issue with Parallel's, and not Bluebeam. There is an option in Parallel's to set default key actions, and I need to tinker with it more.

That's it, everything works as normal, and I am absolutely loving it. I know Bluebeam is hiring up to begin work on a native Mac version, but having Windows and MacOSX running concurrently is truly the best of both worlds, and its extremely flexible and powerful.

If you are a Mac user needing to use Bluebeam, it's worth it to buy Parallels and Win7. You won't regret it.

[QUOTE=nwoods;7262]

2. Holding shift to introduce "ortho mode" to draw straight level lines and annotations in Bluebeam does not work. I think this might be an issue with Parallel's, and not Bluebeam. There is an option in Parallel's to set default key actions, and I need to tinker with it more.

Did you ever figure this out? Were you able to get the shift key to work for straight lines?

Quote Originally Posted by jtankowcg View Post

Did you ever figure this out? Were you able to get the shift key to work for straight lines?
    Nope. Still drives me crazy. Shift to hold Ortho and Copy/Paste Keyboard functions in Parallels on the Mac do not work under the default settings.

Maybe found the solution. Works for me ....

http://kb.parallels.com/en/116994

Quote Originally Posted by nwoods View Post
    Nope. Still drives me crazy. Shift to hold Ortho and Copy/Paste Keyboard functions in Parallels on the Mac do not work under the default settings.
    Maybe found the solution. Works for me ....

http://kb.parallels.com/en/116994