Thread: IF, Logical Functions wish list

Default IF, Logical Functions wish list

The problem:

This is fallout from trying to develop a tool set to calculate excavation, concrete, formwork and rebar takeoffs from a single measurement, ideally plan area, for a building shell estimate. (already done by hand, by someone else)

unfortunately without these tools I'm forced to use additional columns to zero out part of equations, which makes the whole process somewhat confusing meaning more error prone, with every column addition. Stopped when I got to 2 .

Wish list:

Without a lookup function or ability to create custom variables, values for things like percentage allowance for rebar or conc etc had to embedded in the cell formulas. Which will be a pain to change later.

under custom columns:

- check mark columns, ability to assign default values, i.e checked = 1, unchecked = 0
    - additional math function ABS()
    - add logical functions after math functions in the expression drop down window. Of course the more ‘excel like’ functions available in the markups list the better, ‘IF’ is just the one I went looking for first.

Other minor tweaks:
    - inability to use symbols in supposedly non formula column labels such as backslash (/). i.e. lb/ft
    - optional additional column label line under Name, ala description. Sometimes a two line column heading is useful, i.e. line 1 = name while line 2 = units. Shrinking the column just fit data, often hides useful column header info.

I recognize that Bluebeam isn't MC2 and the like, but very little additional functionality is needed to make this app much more effective. I’d be surprised to learn that logical functions were not already on your internal development roadmap, just hope it’s not for ver 14 in 2016.

I’ll also apologize to your eng department in advance for equating adding logical functions to ‘little’ but not for saying effective rather than powerful. More power is usually accompanied by more cost.

Before you point out the obvious ‘in the mean time’ alternative:

Personally I find the idea of measuring the same item multiple times to get multiple values…. err …unappealing, even if some might find this separation reassuring. Hence the propose of this little fun exercise.

P.S. the forums search function can’t be working right. I couldn’t find any other request for logical functions, and given how technically minded most of your users seem to be, I find that hard to believe, this should be at least request 4,042

What is MC2?

MC2 is construction estimating software.
    http://www.ribmc2.com/

Default agree

i 100% agree with your post

Quote Originally Posted by smitch View Post
    The problem:

This is fallout from trying to develop a tool set to calculate excavation, concrete, formwork and rebar takeoffs from a single measurement, ideally plan area, for a building shell estimate. (already done by hand, by someone else)

unfortunately without these tools I'm forced to use additional columns to zero out part of equations, which makes the whole process somewhat confusing meaning more error prone, with every column addition. Stopped when I got to 2 .

Wish list:

Without a lookup function or ability to create custom variables, values for things like percentage allowance for rebar or conc etc had to embedded in the cell formulas. Which will be a pain to change later.

under custom columns:

- check mark columns, ability to assign default values, i.e checked = 1, unchecked = 0
    - additional math function ABS()
    - add logical functions after math functions in the expression drop down window. Of course the more ‘excel like’ functions available in the markups list the better, ‘IF’ is just the one I went looking for first.

Other minor tweaks:
    - inability to use symbols in supposedly non formula column labels such as backslash (/). i.e. lb/ft
    - optional additional column label line under Name, ala description. Sometimes a two line column heading is useful, i.e. line 1 = name while line 2 = units. Shrinking the column just fit data, often hides useful column header info.

I recognize that Bluebeam isn't MC2 and the like, but very little additional functionality is needed to make this app much more effective. I’d be surprised to learn that logical functions were not already on your internal development roadmap, just hope it’s not for ver 14 in 2016.

I’ll also apologize to your eng department in advance for equating adding logical functions to ‘little’ but not for saying effective rather than powerful. More power is usually accompanied by more cost.

Before you point out the obvious ‘in the mean time’ alternative:

Personally I find the idea of measuring the same item multiple times to get multiple values…. err …unappealing, even if some might find this separation reassuring. Hence the propose of this little fun exercise.

P.S. the forums search function can’t be working right. I couldn’t find any other request for logical functions, and given how technically minded most of your users seem to be, I find that hard to believe, this should be at least request 4,042

Very good post.
    thank you