Thread: Highlight Tool Text Selection Control

Default Highlight Tool Text Selection Control

Is there a way to turn off the text selection feature of the Highlight tool? Sometimes the tool selects text when I want to highlight something adjacent to the text and sometimes instead of highlighting just the selected text it highlights all the text in the paragraph or in the entire document. And sometimes I just want a more prominent highlight that the one produced with text selection feature.

Hi dean-c,

Thanks for the post. You can turn off the Text Highlighting feature in the Revu Preferences. To do this, go to the Edit menu in Revu and select Preferences. Then choose Tablet from the Preferences list and clear the checkbox for Enable Text Highlighting. Click OK to close the Preferences.

If you still need to draw perfectly straight lines with the Highlighter tool, hold down the Shift key while drawing your lines.

If you're trying to highlight something not defined by text or in addition to a text area you might want to try drawing a rectangle (or polygon or cloud), use whatever color you want and checkbox the "highlight" box in the properties panel (the checkbox is just to the right of the fill color selection. For awhile I didn't know what the highlight box did but once I figured out that it lets all the underlying linework come through you don't need to try changing transparency levels of solid fill areas. I believe the highlight option came out in the past year or two so if you're using an older version of Revu you won't see it.

edit: I didn't see Paul's response when I posted but maybe mine's still useful.

Default Highlighting Options

Thank you Paul and ScottA. Both responses were helpful. I had looked on the toolbars for a "highlight" option for colors but had not found one there and had not thought to look for it on the properties panel. That is extremely useful! I have now created tools for highlighting shapes I use frequently like a long skinny one to highlight a row in a spreadsheet.

It would be nice if there was a way to select the highlight option from the toolbar buttons for line colors and fill colors. Is it there and I have not found it?

You didn't miss it. The "Highlight" check box is only available in the Properties tab. I will forward this to the engineering team to consider for a future release of Bluebeam.

The Highlight tool is really two tools wrapped into one:
    * text highlight which is a property of the text
    * Pen highlight which is a thick Pen markup using the "highlight" property.

You can hold down the Ctrl key to use a Pen highlight when the cursor is over text.

Using a Rectangle or Line is a much more efficient way to store formation compared to Pen - which requires a lot of information to define the curves in the pen strokes.

Thanks Greg. That is useful information, especially the mention of the Ctrl key option when the curser is over text.

Greg and Paul at Bluebeam: it definitely would help to have another location to toggle the text highlighting behavior. I needed to use that toggle again today and could not remember where in Preferences it was located so came back to this thread. It makes sense for the setting to be at Preferences but if you are a desktop or laptop user, there is no reason to look for anything on the Tablet tab.