Thread: IPad users Help! Single Large Document or Separate Pages?

Default IPad users Help! Single Large Document or Separate Pages?

I am building a new Project for field use with Ipads. I have 6 Buildings, Site and B-Permit. I have a couple of questions;

1. Should I look at utilizing large sets of drawings per building or should i separate up my PDF's by page?
    2. Should i also separate by Discipline?
    3. For Punch items are users normally customizing punch keys with only two letter (CD= Concrete Discoloration) or are you making more strategic punch keys? (Any examples would be great)

I have a similar situation and the same questions.

Currently I can't figure out how to make one page transition to the next on the iPad if they are separate pages -- this is a huge feature lack for me! Plangrid can do it...

Best is to use one large file with all pages. It is really difficult to navigate through different files for each page. However, make sure you reduce the file size as much as possible. Large files can get really slow. Also, USE HYPERLINKS! Cannot stress this enough for use on tablets. Hyperlink the cover page or sheet list and each detail callout. If the PDF has selectable text Revu eXtreme can automatically hyperlink the whole set depending on how you set it up. It's also a good idea to add a hyperlink to each page that takes you back to the cover page or table of contents. Trying to flip back to it all the time gets frustrating.

There are many different ways to get the batch link to work best. I use "Sets" where each page is a separate PDF named by page number and rev. (i.e. A2.1_Rev 2.pdf). The underscore is key so "Sets" can filter the sheets by revision. Then I have each page callout hyperlinked so anytime you see A2.1 in the drawings it adds a link to that page. So in "Sets" all i have to do is select all latest revisions and combine them into a single PDF. Revu automatically updates the hyperlinks to point the page within the set instead of the original PDF for each page. Then just add that combined set to your Studio project and sync to your ipad.

And yes, I would separate each discipline. Makes the files smaller and faster.