Thread: Bluebeam Collaboration Features - is BB getting left in the dust?

Exclamation Bluebeam Collaboration Features - is BB getting left in the dust?

First off - I will say I love Bluebeam. Besides AutoCAD and Outlook, it is my 3rd most used program. But I just want to say that they need to get moving on development of the software or they may get left behind. The collaboration features in Studio are cool, but it is just way too klunky an interface to be used regularly. It needs a proper front end that is easy to log in and navigate.

Look at PlanGrid, Fieldwire, RoundhousePM and other collaboration solutions. There is absolutely no reason that BB is not the leader of that pack. Turn Studio into something that competes with these softwares - or reach out to them and work with them directly to build Bluebeam collaboration into their software.

Anyway, what generated all of this was this new product I learned of today. PaperLight Hardware & Software collaboration solutIon: https://www.rolloutaec.com/PaperLight
    (check out this video and tell me you aren't salivating and want to use this with Bluebeam).

Come on guys - you need to get off the yearly development cycle and be rolling out new features at least quarterly. A year is too long to wait.

Craig

Hi Craig, thanks for the feedback. If you have a few minutes, we'd love to hear which parts of those solutions are most important for the work you do. How are you using Studio Sessions or Projects today? In addition to an easy to use front end, what else could make collaborating on your Studio documents easier--either for you or for other users you work with? Is smartphone or web access important to your team? How about issue tracking or managing submittals, RFIs, ASIs, etc.?

In addition to our major release in Q1 each year, we also have a few point releases throughout the year. Not all of them include brand new features, but if you'd like to take a look at some past updates, you can check out our release notes here. If you (or other forum members) would prefer to share details offline, feel free to contact us at suggestions@bluebeam.com to let us know what you'd like to see in future updates!

I think you guys need to consider making Studio a little simpler. It should be a browser login and viewing access. It should be accessible from an iPhone as well as an iPad (not platform or device specific). Maybe parts of it should be a bit like using an online version of Bluebeam? Not a bad sales idea...

I've used Sharefile for collaboration but it is like using a sledgehammer on a finish nail. I recently had a client and interior designer that began using PlanGrid and they love the ease of use - but it is prohibitively expensive for our team to use. I am now starting to setup up some projects on RoundhousePM and I really like the way it handles AEC construction admin items (RFIs, revisions, tasks, etc.). The pricing seems just about right. But what it lacks is a collaborative graphic environment for PDF files (markups, photos, punch list). You guys should consider buying that company and integrating their system with Studio.

If you ever have any product roadmap discussions, reach out to me, I'd be happy to give you some ideas. Craig - Fusch Architects

I just looked at the PaperLight info. Have to admit, not very impressed. Even though it folds, pretty darn large to go from office to job site as they tout. Plus I'm going to need AC power and my computer with an HDMI port to use in the field, if I understand correctly. Plus, the shadows of my hand and arm while trying to draw would drive me crazy. I'd rather use Revu on an iPad Pro - maybe not as big, but in the digital realm, I don't really WANT to have to work at full 24x36 or larger. I also don't see anything "collaborative" about it based on what's on their website other than it's big enough for a couple people to sit around and markup - just like the paper drawing.
    Last edited by stjones; 04-29-2016 at 07:17 AM.

I would add not having access to Studio from mobile is a real downer. We don't need to edit on Android or iPhone, but we do at least need to view what team members have done.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrstnMchl View Post
    I would add not having access to Studio from mobile is a real downer. We don't need to edit on Android or iPhone, but we do at least need to view what team members have done.
    Completely agree. I love Bluebeam for takeoffs and estimating, but once a job starts we have to switch to something with mobile (web) access. Currently we use Plangrid or Fieldwire. Just started with Fieldwire and so far I love it.