Thread: creating a tool from Photoshop?

Default creating a tool from Photoshop?

I have a vessel drawing and want to cut out the overhead view to use in Bluebeam. I can cut it from the factory PDF with Photoshop, but when I import it into Revu it is no longer "Scissor cut" it is just cropped. In other words, instead of a piece that looks like a tool, I have a piece that is just a rectangular box, with a lot of excess white around the projections of the vessel, and that causes an overlap issue.

Is there a way to import an image so that it is cut out, like a paper doll, and not just a big rectangular box?

I have Photoshop, etc at my disposal.

Yes there is a way. You need to make the border and background of the cropped item transparent. When you put it on a PDF sheet, it will be highlighted, go to properties, Fill Color-none, Line Width-0. I do this extensively. Then I save it as a tool and fill in the information so when I click on it and place on a drawing, the labor, price and weight goes into the proper columns. Also, then once it is in tools, you can size it by dragging a corner.

Hope this works for you.

What should I initially drag it in as? a jpg? I have the piece of the PDF as a photoshop file (.psd) with a transparent background. I cannot seem to save it as a PDF with a transparent background and cannot figure out how? Thank you for the help

Hi Puckeater38,

You should be able to retain transparency with the .png file format. Just out of curiosity, I did save an image with a transparent background as a Photoshop PDF. I opened it up in Bluebeam and then from the thumbnails panel, I right-clicked to copy the page to a snapshot. I pasted this and it appears to have retained the transparency as well.

Gordon

Thank you Sir! Got it now